I want to stop/slow down global warming. Where do I start?

How can I, as an individual, do a better job of mitigating my own impact on the environment?

1. Live a minimal life. Less clothes, less shoes, smaller house, almost everything you purchase has a hidden environmental cost. Like a packet of chips worth Rs. 10 is plastic packet that will stay in the landfill or oceans for 100 years

2. Actively use your 9 to 5 skills to work in solving Climate Change. It can be marketing, communications, technology, data, design, graphics, supply chain, anything, any skill, any degree.

3. Question the status quo. Question the policies, businesses, frameworks, elders, value system. Question if your belief system is compatible with the planet or not.

This is an excellent question! Certainly made me pause and reflect on everything I consume and show my loyalties towards. We all know for a fact that lowering the Green House Gas emissions will remain key in fighting climate change. It is important to remember that the key sectors that contribute to this process are fossil fuel burning, chemical and industrial farming processes and deforestation.

As an individual, I would step back and check on how much I add to the burden of disappearing forests, chemical farming and fuel burning; I’d begin by doing the following - 1) Most Indian states today have a rooftop solar policy that mandates houses to be equipped with a minimum capacity of solar power, I would ensure this is in place where I live.
2) The mode of transport that we use is directly proportional to a city’s overall contribution to the GHG emissions. I would try and minimise the use of private transport to an extent possible and use shared transportation systems.
3) The number of flights we take tend to also drastically increase our CO2 emissions, one can calculate this using a simple, online carbon footprint tracker, enables you to know your footprint instantly.
4) Picking up food from the local, organic stores and that makes a whole lot of difference to your overall footprint as the input costs of agriculture are completely natural and reversible. And most importantly, it reduces the added burden of having to buy packaged food.
5) Avoiding products that are responsible for guzzling pristine forests and palm oil for example is a great way to start. An obvious place to begin could be the cosmetics that we tend to use.

Thank you for asking such a simple yet profound question! The goal is simple, green house gases are climate’s worst enemy and carbon di oxide is a green house gas which is most emitted as a result of anthropogenic activities for example it’s released when oil, coal, and other fossil fuels are burned for energy-the energy we use to power our homes, cars, and smartphones. By using less of it, we can curb our own contribution to climate change while also saving money.

1. Speak up!

What’s the single biggest way you can make an impact on global climate change? Talk to your friends and family, and make sure your representatives are making good decision

1. Power your home with renewable energy.

Use as much as electronic appliances which run with solar energy. If that isn’t possible for you, take a look at your electric bill; many utilities now list other ways to support renewable sources on their monthly statements and websites.

1. All weather homes.

Air-conditioning account for almost half of home energy use. You can make your space more energy efficient by sealing drafts and ensuring it’s adequately insulated.

1. Reduce water waste.

Saving water reduces carbon pollution, too. That’s because it takes a lot of energy to pump, heat, and treat your water. So take shorter showers, turn off the tap while brushing your teeth.

1. Actually eat the food you buy—and make less of it meat.

A big percentage of energy use goes into growing, processing, packaging, and shipping food—about 40 percent of which just winds up in the landfill. If you’re wasting less food, you’re likely cutting down on energy consumption.

1. Buy better bulbs.

LED lightbulbs use up to 80 percent less energy than conventional incandescents. They’re also cheaper in the long run.

1. Pull the plug(s).

Don’t leave fully charged devices plugged into your home’s outlets, unplug rarely used devices or plug them into power strips and timers, and adjust your computers and monitors to automatically power down to the lowest power mode when not in use.

1. Drive a fuel-efficient vehicle and carpool as much as possible

2. Rethink planes, trains, and automobiles.

Choosing to live in walkable cities and towns with quality public transportation leads to less driving, less money spent on fuel, and less. Less frequent flying can make a big difference, too. Air transport is a major source of climate pollution.

We can take these small changes as steps to reduce global warming and most crucial activity to add the list is consistency in all our actions. Thank you and all the best!

1 Like